This week, the Healthy Newborn Network celebrates its second birthday, and celebrates a new day for newborn health. As the largest community for newborn health professionals, advocates and stakeholders in the world, we wish to commemorate each one of our members and partner organizations for their commitment to reducing newborn mortality. Together, we are improving the health of newborns and their families, and moving closer towards ending preventable deaths.
Since our launch in April 2009, HNN has grown to be an active community of close to 70 international and national organizations and nearly 3,000 individual members. With your help, we have seen close to 100,000 visits, and reached 180 countries. We have expanded our resource library to include 900 key resources from our partners, and have shared valuable insight and innovative ideas from contributors across the world. Our blog, facebook and twitter pages have connected thousands of people and facilitated dialogue, creating opportunities for collaboration and strengthening partnerships.
In celebration of our birthday, we thank you for your sustained commitment to address the critical knowledge gaps that will improve the health and survival of all newborns. Our birthday wish is that you continue to help our community grow: ignite the connections and opportunities HNN offers, share your stories of progress, your lessons learned, news, photos, and other newborn health resources.
Take a look at a few of the highlights in newborn health and some of the most popular content from the Healthy Newborn Network:
Top 5 Blogs:
- If you were born as an African baby… By Joy Lawn
- Neonatal Nurses: High value but given low priority: By Joy Lawn and Mary Kinney
- Fighting newborn infections: New evidence leads the way: By Steve Wall
- A Global Conversation: Newborn Health in India: By Gary Darmstadt, Amie Newman, Monika Gutestam and JoAnn Paradis
Top 5 Resources:
- The Lancet Series on Stillbirth
- Improving Newborn Survival in Low-Income Countries: Community-Based Approached and Lessons from South Asia
- Saving Newborn Lives in Nigeria: Newborn Health in the context of Integrated Maternal, Newborn and Child
- Cuidado Post Natal: una Oportunidad Curcial para Salvar a Madres y Recién Nacidos
- 'Kangaroo mother care’ to prevent neonatal deaths due to preterm birth complications
- Shivgarh: Helping moms and babies through song
- Neonatal Nursing in India: International Neonatal Nursing Excellence Award
- Projahnmo: Generations to Come
Photo Essay Highlights:
Featured HNN Blogs
About the Blog
The Healthy Newborn Network Blog provides timely information and insights from the global newborn health field and seeks to promote dialogue on important newborn health issues. The blog is a platform for the HNN Editors and guest contributors to post commentaries on current happenings in the newborn health field. The content of each post and comments expressed on the HNN blog are those of the individual contributors and do not necessarily represent the views and opinion of the HNN or its Partner Organizations. >>Read a note on leaving comments
Recent Member Responses
As director of the KANGAROO FOUNDATION from Colombia I want to do some comments on the 2012 Carlos Slim Award as Exceptional Health Institution we...
Excellent Initiave. HBB has been introduced in West Africa Region through USAID AWARE II Project. 7 countries have benefited capacity building of...
Warm greetings from Oz! Great article Gary - we all need access to information like this.
Kind Regards, Julieanne Hensby