What is this document?
This module aims to make stakeholder and community engagement an integral part of quality improvement
(QI) initiatives and suggests approaches to make stakeholder and community engagement comprehensive
(engagement throughout the maternal, newborn and child health QI planning, implementation, and monitoring and
evaluation cycle) and meaningful (supporting efficiency as well as partnership building and empowerment goals).
Who is it for?
It is meant for policy-makers and programme implementers who are interested in and/or (aim to) initiate and
support stakeholder and community engagement in QI initiatives in maternal, newborn and child health across
different levels. More specifically, it provides operational guidance to QI teams.
How should it be used?
Users of this module can use it to learn about the following topics:
• Why there is a need for stakeholder and community engagement in QI initiatives.
• Who should be engaged in QI initiatives, why and how, and what can be done to build and strengthen QI
• How to conduct collaborative quality assessments.
• How to develop information, communication and advocacy strategies.
• What can be learned from stakeholder and community engagement.